Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The 50th TOAE

Some of my faves at this year's
TORONTO OUTDOOR ART EXHIBITION

Having just celebrated its 50th year, the Toronto Outdoor Art Exhibition [TOAE] is a juried showcase featuring contemporary fine art and craft. Taking place annually on Nathan Phillips Square in Toronto every July, this past weekend I was there bright and early the first day to check out this year's artists.

One of the first booths I fell in love with was that of Suzanne Carlsen. I had seen her at TOAE a few years ago where she won the Best Jewelry award for her fantastic embroidered broaches - which almost combine Girl Guide badges with War medals. She has now expanded into larger and more intricate broaches and necklaces, as well as these funky perishable floral pins.


Suzanne has started a really unique "Club" where you can sign up to receive a new broach in the mail every month... I think that would make a great gift to give someone (like me)! - visiting her website at www.suzannecarlsen.ca
or email suzanne.carlsen@gmail.com

...

My mom and I go to the show together every year for her Birthday, and always visit her cousin, Janny Fraser. Janny has been participating in TOAE most of her career, and she is a very inspiring mixed-media and installation artist from Jordan, Ontario.

The above snapshot is of Janny, cousin Tom, and my mom Danice outside Janny's booth.
Janny uses found objects - especially old watch faces, small metal birds, animals, and figures, pebbles and mirror to create these very intricate sculptural pieces. I am very proud to have one hanging on my wall - they are fantastic! If you are ever in Niagra, be sure to visit Janny at The Jordan Art Gallery - www.jordanartgallery.com - 3845 Main Street, Jordan Village, Ontario

...

An artist I recognized right away was Pam Lobb. We were both picked up by Canvas Gallery after being in the Queen West Art Crawl last fall, and I love her feminine pieces. Pam is a printmaker, and my favourite works are the ones where she prints on vintage doilies.

Visit Canvas Gallery at 950 Dupont St. in Toronto to see more of Pam's work, or visit www.pamlobb.com

...

When I passed Candace Osborne Bell's tent I immediately thought "I want one of these"! The paintings scream Canadiana in the best possible way. Candice's work is quirky, tactile, and a great mix of masculine and feminine.
I definitely have a very specific taste in art, and it's hard to find pieces I love love love that also appeal to my boyfriend. Candice has hit the nail on the head in that department, and she will be my next art purchase, absolutely.
(also, how great would these look at a cottage?!)
Visit her on facebook at facebook.com.meaningfullart or www.madrabbitart.com


...

I was immediately drawn to the Lucky Jackson booth when I spotted the embroidery hoop pieces, since I work with them in my own work. When I got a closer look, I realized I actually had met the artist last summer at a craft show in cottage country, and she reminded me that I had encouraged her to apply for TOAE. Small world!
I bought one of her adorable pieces, and it's proudly hanging on my bedroom wall. Her main body of work is textile based, either stretched over a frame or hoop. She uses fabrics to block out her shapes, and machine or hand sews all of her lines - really fun stuff! You can purchase her textile creations on etsy at www.luckyjackson.etsy.com

...
I was so happy for the artist's that they had fabulous weather all weekend.
It was hot and sunny!
I was in the Toronto Outdoor Art Exhibition in 2009, and my booth almost collapsed when a downpour started and I was right under a drainage pipe from the overhang!
Below you can see a photo of me with some of my hoop pieces and shadow boxes I was showing that year.

To check out my current work, visit www.KatelynDiGiulio.com

No comments:

Post a Comment